Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Integrating legacy Seatalk devices
06-04-19, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-19 09:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] Integrating legacy Seatalk devices
Hello Wdeertz,

To start, I'll make a couple of comments about this drawing:
  1. You should have a single Seatalk1 network, with a single convertor. Multiple Seatalk networks and convertors is highly likely to cause problems. Definitely don't add a third.
  2. I'd advise caution using non-marine network devices on a boat, particularly in a navigation network. They're generally not tolerant of the shock & vibration, humidity, temperature cycling, saline mist or power-supply instability of a marine environment, and generally don't comply with marine EMC standards. I heard of a boat here in Australia that suffered a fire at sea because of a non-marine network switch that didn't cope with the marine environment (and wasn't adequately circuit-protected.)

The correct way to do this is to remove one of your convertors and join the Seatalk1 networks, however it appears that you have another problem: if joining the cable marked no.1 powers down the ST60 Depth and fails to power the flybridge devices, then it sounds as if you have either a high-resistance connection in the cabling (causing a significant voltage drop) or something drawing significant current in the flybridge Seatalk1 system. The flybridge devices should power up and work whether they're connected via the ST6001 or the ST60 Depth. You need to find and fix this issue first before the rest of the system will work correctly.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] Integrating legacy Seatalk devices - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-04-19 08:55 PM