Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] E120 Crash when set to 38400 BAUD - AIS is NMEA 0183
06-18-19, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-19 11:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] E120 Crash when set to 38400 BAUD - AIS is NMEA 0183
Hi,
I have an AIS650 and two E120 Classics. The AIS650 is wired via NMEA0183 and connected to the Repeater E120 Classic. I can verify that the AIS650 is working.
However, when I set the communications ti 38400 BAUD, the repeater starts to screen flicker and then freezes. In the process, it does populate the AIS traffic in the area.
I have reset the E120's many times, their software is up to date. I have also updated the AIS650's software to the current version.
The problem is amplified when many AIS targets are around me.
How do I address this problem?
Should I switch to the SeaTalkng system? If so, how do I rewire it?
Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-19, 12:46 PM
RE: [CA11] E120 Crash when set to 38400 BAUD - AIS is NMEA 0183
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum ckroeger,

As indicated within the FAQ found here, the software of the A/C/E-Series Classic MFDs will only support processing of AIS data received via the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface. While you have indicated that the latest versions of software have been installed within the MFD and AIS650, it is recommended that it be verified that they v5.69 E-Series Classic MFD software and v2.02 AIS650 software have been installed within these products respectively. The MFD's NMEA 0183 port may be tested by performing a NMEA 0183 wraparound test. If the MFD operates in a stable manner when so tested, then reported issue may be associated with nearby AIS transmitter which is broadcasting invalid data, causing the reported issue. Over the years we have seen such instances in the San Francisco Bay area and other locations around the US. In such cases, it can only be advised to that the power to the AIS650 be switched off until the problem abates. Alternatively, the MFD's NMEA 0183 port may be configured to NMEA 4800, thereby breaking communications with the AIS650.
06-25-19, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-19 09:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
Thank you for the reply. I have checked the MFD's as shown as well as the AIS all is good.
So I guess the problem is as you identified; My boat is located in the Charleston (SC) harbor. There's literally 30 - 50 AIS targets at any given time.
1. So I'm guessing that I am docked in a problem area?
2. That said, if I change the way the AIS is communicating from NMEA 0183 and use a converter to convert the AIS650's SeaTalkng to be able to communicate with the E120 Classic does that make sense?
3. Also, if I upgrade to the Axiom Pro, will I experience the same problem?
I look forward to your reply.
06-25-19, 09:35 AM
ckroeger,

Q1. So I'm guessing that I am docked in a problem area?
A1. Quite possibly. Recommend testing outside of the area in which the vessel is presently located.

Q2. That said, if I change the way the AIS is communicating from NMEA 0183 and use a converter to convert the AIS650's SeaTalkng to be able to communicate with the E120 Classic does that make sense?
A2. Unfortunately as indicated within the FAQ found herehere, the software of the A/C/E-Series Classic MFDs does not support processing NMEA 2000 PGNs featuring AIS data.

Q3. Also, if I upgrade to the Axiom Pro, will I experience the same problem?
A3. Not likely, as we are not presently receiving any similar reports in conjunction with MFDs running LightHouse 3 software.
07-01-19, 09:07 AM
An observation from my vessel that is configured much the same way, here in the pacific NW (Seattle/Vancouver area), I've observed that the E120 will sometimes loose contact with an AIS target despite it clearly being in range (visually) and being visible via an independent source like Marine Traffic, yet be redisplayed sometime later. My presumption is that the older plotter may get overwhelmed with too much AIS data along with other chores like chartplotting and radar overlay. Comment Chuck?
07-01-19, 11:08 AM
Lotharjt,

Q. My presumption is that the older plotter may get overwhelmed with too much AIS data along with other chores like chartplotting and radar overlay. Comment Chuck?
A. I have indeed observed that when running radar overlay in head up mode with offset, that this can occasionally overwhelm the processing capability of the E-Series Classic MFDs causing the screen to darken and then reappear. The latest software for the E-Series Classic MFDs is designed to report up 100 of the AIStargets. One may find that the symptom described by Lothar may occur in areas of heavy AIS traffic. Additionally, in areas of heavy AIS traffic, transmissions from AIS transceivers may be blocked (reported by error 24a cp busy on one's own system when blocked) for the allotted slot is in use during the transmitting vessel's transmission interval. This may require that another full cycle be waited until the next transmission attempt. In such cases, it is possible that the MFD will drop the AIS target from its screen and from its target list. The persistence of targets by MarineTraffic.com may be greater retaining such targets than would be the MFD.