Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ZF-marine VMU POD D10 for Wind Vane
06-24-19, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-19 03:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] ZF-marine VMU POD D10 for Wind Vane
I recently bought an EV-400 Autopilot, which came with a ZF-Marine VMU POD D10, that I won't use, as I don't have the ZF sail drive. I'd like to use this POD D10 to connect a wind vane to my SeatalkNG network, instead. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-19, 12:33 PM
RE: [CA11] ZF-marine VMU POD D10 for Wind Vane
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Horacio,

Please note that the pod which you have referenced is not a Raymarine product and is not sold as part of any Raymarine autopilot kit. While Raymarine offers the Raymarine’s web siteEV-DBW for use with ZF Pods and this Evolution autopilot does not the ZF-marine VMU POD D10 which you have referenced. The EV-DBW autopilot's EV-2 CCU features a dedicated CAN Bus port for direct connection to steer-by-wire steering systems:
- ZF Pod Drives
- Volvo† IPS* and Volvo Aquamatic
- Teleflex Optimus 360 Systems (Outboard Engines)
- Yanmar VC10 and JC10 (Joystick) Control Systems

When Raymarine had offered ST70/ST290 pods, these were available in depth, speed/temp, and wind pod variants. Third party pods may not be used for any wind vanes which one is seeking to calibrate through a Raymarine product. As indicated previously, should you desire to add wind data a system to support the autopilot's wind vane mode, then it would be recommended that one of the following product combinations be added to the system:
- i60 Wind System (includes i60 Wind instrument and masthead wind transducer)
- i70 Multifunction Instrument Display, iTC-5 Analog Instrument Converter, Masthead Wind Transducer
07-01-19, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-19 02:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck

Thanks a lot for your prompt response. But I´m positively and completely sure there is a POD D10 in my EV-400 kit, for it is in my hands. I believe your information Raymarine never sold these kit with PODs D10 included, in spite of that, I don´t know how, but mine came with it. Then let´s change the questions:

1. Is there any kind of POD D10 that I could use to connect my wind transducer to my seatalk ng network? It is a ST 60 mast head wind transducer. I don´t have the display/instrument.

2. How can I check what kind of POD D10 is in my autopilot kit? Is there any reference inside or outside its case?

3. Could I use the iTC-5 to make this connection, directly from the wind transducer to the Seatalk ng network? Besides the EV-400 autopilot, I have an Axiom 7 DV, which could use the wind signal for many functions.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Horacio
07-01-19, 02:26 PM
Horacio,

Q1. Is there any kind of POD D10 that I could use to connect my wind transducer to my seatalk ng network? It is a ST 60 mast head wind transducer. I don´t have the display/instrument.
A1. The only "pod" currently manufactured by Raymarine is the iTC-5. In order to utilize an iTC-5 within the system, the system must additionally include an i70S or i70 (replaced by the i70S). The iTC-5 is designed to specifically accommodate the ST60 masthead wind transducers.

Q2. How can I check what kind of POD D10 is in my autopilot kit? Is there any reference inside or outside its case?
A2. Again, I am aware of the nothing that would fit the description of "POD D10" that would have been included with your autopilot kit and would recommend that you attach a photograph of the device which you are referring to in order that we may positively identify it.

Q3. Could I use the iTC-5 to make this connection, directly from the wind transducer to the Seatalk ng network? Besides the EV-400 autopilot, I have an Axiom 7 DV, which could use the wind signal for many functions.
A3. See my response to Q1.
07-05-19, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-19 05:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

Follows attached a photo of the POD D10 that came in my EV-400 autopilot kit (for question 2).

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Horacio
07-16-19, 07:59 AM
Horacio,

The D10 pod was used with the SPX course computers and was intended for use with the drive by wire systems. Within Evolution autopilot systems, the D10 pod has been superseded by the EV2 CCU, and so is no longer required. This pod cannot be used to interface analog depth, speed, or wind transducers to the system.