Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] Upgrading s3 course computer to EV-400
07-01-19, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-19 12:58 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Upgrading s3 course computer to EV-400
I have purchased all the requisite components to upgrade my autopilot system. Is there any guidance on how to convert the old system (with the s3 course computer) to the new system? Will I have to replace the cables already installed? Or just re-terminate using the provided cables/connectors?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-19, 01:04 AM
RE: Upgrading s3 course computer to EV-400
Hello Bfb1115,

The S3G's main power supply, drive/clutch and rudder-reference sensor connections will remain the same of course, but everything else will need new cabling. The S3G used an analogue fluxgate compass sensor whereas the new EV1 sensor core is SeatalkNG digital data, and the p70S/p70RS displays also connect on STNG rather than the old Seatalk1 network. If you ordered an EV300 or EV400 pilot pack (these are the equivalents of S3G, depending on whether you have solenoid or direct-drive motor control) then you will have received a basic STNG cable pack which is enough to connect the pilot components together as long as they're reasonably close together. For longer cable runs or to integrate other products (e.g. S3G-vintage Seatalk1 products) then you'll need additional STNG cables/connectors and/or a Seatalk1-SeatalkNG convertor. Exactly what you need depends on what you have now and where it's mounted.

Don't attempt to splice STNG connectors onto the end of existing ST1 cables from the S3G installation.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply