Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] S2G and ST7001 no autolearn
07-16-19, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-19 12:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] S2G and ST7001 no autolearn
I installed my S2G course computer and the ST7001 control head. I have run the basic calibrations and sea trails and it all basically works. However when I run the seatrial Autolearn does not come up in the menu. Am I missing something? Can it be Pinned out on the board? The S2G was purchased used.

I now I can make all of the manual adjustments but it would be good to have the auto learn function.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-19, 01:06 PM
RE: [CA11] S2G and ST7001 no autolearn
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum PHINNROS,

Failure of a S2G autopilot course computer to support Auto Learn may occur if the autopilot's Calibration Lock feature has been configured ON or if the autopilots gyro has failed and/or been unplugged from the processor board. Unfortunately, parts and service are no longer available for S1G/S2G/S3G Smart Pilots.
07-23-19, 10:46 AM
That is what I was suspecting with the gyro. I know there are connections for an external gyro. Will that work on the S2G? I am assuming the Autolearn would still not be there but I would at least have a gyro to help with the control.
07-23-19, 10:52 AM
PHINNROS,

If the S2G gyro's cable was unplugged from the board, then it would be possible to interface the S2G to an operational Pathfinder Smart Heading System (also known as the Gyro Plus ... neither of which have been produced in over ten years) to permit the S2G once again perform as a SmartPilot.
07-23-19, 01:40 PM
Ok that would be possible. I will look to see if the gyro was disconnected. There are a number of Gyro's on the market that could be used.
07-23-19, 01:43 PM
PHINNROS,

It is not recommended that the S1G/S2G/S3G autopilots be used with any gyro devices other than the Pathfinder Smart Heading system and that with which these course computers were constructed with.
07-26-19, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-19 08:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
So what I have discovered is that there is no gyro on the unit. The Seller on Ebay is looking into a replacement gyro for me. It is my understanding that there were 2 different Gyros on these boards. The question: Is there a way to determine what one was removed? Serial # or other details that would make it possible to identify.

So I looked very carefully and was able to determine that the resistors R145 and R147 are 10K, there for it looks that the Gyro was a Murata. Can you please confirm

Attached is a photo of the board. I can take a better one or of more detail if necessary.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  20190724_111931.jpg (Size: 4.85 MB / Downloads: 204)
07-29-19, 08:18 AM
PHINNROS,

The gyro, which should have been screwed to the circuit board of the S1/S2G/S3G and then plugged into the white socket on the left hand side of the circuit board is missing from your course computer. As indicated, in the absence of this gyro, the SmartPilot autopilot course computers will simply function as a S1/S2/S3 autopilot course computer, will not support Auto Learn, and will not output 10Hz stabilized heading data. Unfortunately, Raymarine does not publish the manufacturers/part numbers of the parts used in the manufacturing of its products.