Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] No GPS Info on MFD GPS Status Page
12-16-19, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-19 11:38 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] No GPS Info on MFD GPS Status Page
Hello magic8,

Quote:As you can see by the track the error happens in an instant and sometimes you have to reset the GPS position on the E80 because the error stays there.
The occasion that i reset it tied up to my jetty we had stopped the engines and were using little power and still the error was there.
Can you confirm exactly what you mean when you say that the error stayed? The jag in the track history stayed, or you had a consistent and on-going error in your GPS position? If the latter, what was the form of the error: a consistent (position, direction) offset, a varying offset, a static GPS position?

Quote:However when I was on dock and reviewed the track that I had recorded it showed that I had sailed over the land!!!!
How accurate is that recorded track?
In order to save memory space the systems don't record vessel position continuously, instead they drop a new track point every so often. The track point interval can be manually configured to set time or distance intervals (trading off track accuracy against the length of the track that can be recorded with the available memory) but the default setting is automatic: the system will drop a new track point when it thinks you've made a significant course change. You can see that happening if you watch the track line as you go, and in your photo you can see that it's drawn track points where you've turned corners and joined these with straight lines in-between.
If you want better precision and fidelity in your track history for confined waterways, go into Menu > Chart Setup > Record Vessel Track By. Time-based tracks give the best results for this sort of thing, but if you choose a very short interval then you may run out of available track points in memory, in which case the start of the track will start to disappear in order to make space for the end of the track. E-series Classic could store up to 3000 points per track so at the shortest interval (2 seconds) would give just over 90 minutes. An interval of 10 or 30 seconds should be suitable for most purposes.

Of course, the track also relies on accurate GPS data so if you had a problem there that would also affect the track.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] No GPS Info on MFD GPS Status Page - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-16-19 11:36 PM