Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] No GPS Info on MFD GPS Status Page
12-18-19, 09:51 PM
RE: [TG11] No GPS Info on MFD GPS Status Page
Hello magic8,

Quote:Does the RS150 treat the DGPS differently to the RS 125 as I had no issues before I changed the GPS antenna due to the other one failing.
The RS125 wasn't sensitive enough to pick up these differential systems on the horizon, so we never saw a problem. We've only started seeing problems like this with eS-series, Axiom, Axiom Pro, RS150, AR200.

Quote:Whilst tied up to the jetty I then reset the GPS using the E80 and it then showed the correct position on the jetty.
Resetting the GPS will force it to reacquire a fix, which would initially be non-differential. This may explain the higher accuracy. I do not normally resetting a GPS as this involves starting from scratch with the fix and usually makes things worse rather than better.

Quote:the error seems to equate to 450 metres most times that I am able to calculate it
450m is a big error. Is it really that far, and if so, is it consistent (in both distance and direction)? If it's consistent, are you absolutely sure that there's no other source of GPS data in the system? Position toggling between two locations is the kind of thing I would expect if there were more than one source.
The other factor is Datum: if there's a consistent position offset, that's usually an incorrect datum. You might get this if, for example, your MFD were receiving a Datum instruction (e.g. NMEA0183 DTM message) from another device that was periodically overriding its own setting.
Standard GPS position errors can be large but would not be expected to be consistent in distance or direction, they should be essentially random.

What else is the E80 connected to? Any NMEA0183 or third-party devices?

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] No GPS Info on MFD GPS Status Page - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-18-19 09:51 PM