Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Tank Level vs Estimated Fuel Remaining ... which should be used?
08-23-19, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-19 09:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)

Prior to the introduction of the Fuel Manager feature within LightHouse II and LightHouse 3 software, fuel quantity could be monitored by a MFD if

- a NMEA 2000 tank level sensor(s) had been installed within the vessel's fuel tank(s), and

- the NMEA 2000 tank level sensor(s) had been interfaced to the marine electronics system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, and

- the NMEA 2000 tank level sensor(s) had been properly configured with respect to Instance ID and Fluid Type, and

- the NMEA 2000 tank level sensor(s) had been been properly calibrated.

Prior to the introduction of support for calibration of Oceanic Systems NMEA 2000 tank level sensors, such calibration required that additional hardware and possibly that a computer be utilized to configure and calibrate NMEA 2000 tank level sensors. However, when using the Oceanic Systems NMEA 2000 tank level sensors identified within the Calibrating tanks section of Chapter 5.11: Settings of the LightHouse 3.10 Advanced Operation Instructions, the MFD running LightHouse 3 v3.10 or later software may be used to calibrate Oceanic Systems NMEA 2000 tank level sensors. Other NMEA 2000 tank level sensors must be calibrated in the manner specified by the manufacturer of the sensors.

The advent of the Fuel Manager feature within LightHouse II, LightHouse 3 software, and i70/i70S software, MFDs and i70/i70S MFIDs are capable of monitoring or calculating trip fuel usage, which in turn could track total fuel remaining within the vessel's tanks. This feature is the preferred fuel monitoring feature within smaller vessels where NMEA 2000 tanks level sensors have not been installed and may not be desired due to cost or other concerns. In order to utilize this feature, the engine system must be capable of monitoring fuel consumption rate and must be interfaced to the marine electronics system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Alternatively, properly instanced and calibrated NMEA 0183 fuel flow sensor(s) may be interfaced to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to supply it with fuel consumption data. With such data, the MFD or MFID can calculate and display estimated fuel remaining, total fuel flow rate, economy, distance to empty, time to empty, seasonal fuel use, trip fuel use, etc. Depending upon the device, the Dashboard / Data application and/or Databoxes may be customized to display these fuel related data items. Further details concerning the Fuel Manager feature and Dashboard/Data application/page customization may be found within the latest LightHouse II, LightHouse 3, or i70S operations guide.

RAYFAQ#
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply