Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Replacing C80 with Axiom 7
08-24-19, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-19 01:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Replacing C80 with Axiom 7
I am replacing my C80 with an Axiom 7. The C80 has the three wire hook-up (red, yellow, unshielded) for the network to my st60+'s. The Axiom has a pin plug. Is there an adapter for an easy replacement hook-up from the axiom plug to the three wires?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-19, 01:52 PM
RE: [CA11] Replacing C80 with Axiom 7
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum wjj,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

As suggested therein, these MFDs have been designed with communications circuitry which differs from one another. Axiom MFDs support SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications, while the C-Series MFD supported SeaTalk communications. Accordingly, a data bridging device must be employed to support bridging of SeaTalk communications to SeaTalkng. Raymarine offers the E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit to support this end. You will additionally require a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block and an A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) DeviceNet Female Adapter.

Insert a supplied SeaTalkng Termination Plug into both of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's two backbone (blue) sockets. Connect the A06075 DeviceNet Female Adapter to the DeviceNet (M) plug of the MFD's Power/NMEA 2000 Cable. Connect the A06075 DeviceNet Female Adapter's SeaTalkng spur plug in to one of the spur (white) sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Connect the yellow end of supplied SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter to the color coded (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Connect the SeaTalk plug of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable into the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. Disconnect the SeaTalk buss from its present source of 12VDC power. Instead, the supplied SeaTalkNG Power Cable will be connected to the 12VDC power source. The SeaTalkng Power Cable's SeaTalkng Spur (white) plug will be connected to the remaining spur (white) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
09-10-19, 07:51 AM
Hi Chuck,

I have the parts and am reviewing everything before I begin the install. The seatalk wiring is yellow red and common (bare wire ?). Do I ignore the other connecting wires that are connected to the TriData display (black and blue for depth, brown white and green for speed)? And the wires to the St6002 (red, common and black)?

Next question, I need to connect the existing Seatalk to the D244. Where do I get the red, common and yellow from? I have those wires coming from a Tridata to the C80, is that what I should use?

Thanks, Wayne
09-10-19, 09:44 AM
Wayne,

Please review the FAQ referenced within my prior response for general guidance. When replacing the C80 MFD:
1) unplug the SeaTalk Cable which has been connected to its SeaTalk socket and then connect it to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block.
2) connect the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block and to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
3) install one SeaTalkng Termination Plug (blue) within each of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's backbone (blue sockets).
4) connect the supplied SeaTalkng Power Cable to a switched 12VDC power circuit and then connect it to one of the spur (white) sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter
5) Connect a DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter to the DeviceNet (NMEA 2000) plug found on the MFD's Power/NMEA 2000 Cable and then connect the other end of this adapter to the remaining spur socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Regarding the remainder of the system, no mention had been made previously of an autopilot, but the referenced FAQ addresses this subject. As indicated therein,
1) the autopilot control head alone should be interfaced to one of the SeaTalk sockets of the autopilot course computer and all three of the SeaTalk cable's lead should be used to permit the autopilot course computer to power the autopilot control head.
2) the aforementioned SeaTalk Cable which had been removed from the MFD's SeaTalk port and then connected to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block should also be connected to the unpowered SeaTalk bus which includes the SeaTalk instruments and GPS sensor (if any). As indicated within the referenced FAQ each SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter may be used with up to five SeaTalk devices. This SeaTalk bus will also be interfaced to the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk socket, via only its yellow and shield lead to ensure that the autopilot does not supply power to the SeaTalk bus.
3) Any transducers which are presently interfaced to the instruments should remain connected to those instruments.