Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] E140\W chart plotter wit AIS500 and GPS not initializing
09-30-19, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-19 01:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] E140\W chart plotter wit AIS500 and GPS not initializing
Hello,

I have a E140W with an AIS 500 and GPS signal that are intermittently not initializing when powered up.
I have powered down and up several times to get it to initialize and let it set and waited 15 minutes for it initialize.
90% of the time everything initializes within a minute or two.
Is there a bigger problem brewing or is this normal.
How do I troubleshoot once I get it stuck in an initialized state?

Thank you,
Mike Bishop
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-19, 01:12 PM
RE: [CA11] E140\W chart plotter wit AIS500 and GPS not initializing
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mike,

Please note that the AIS500, external GPS sensor, and the MFD are not dependent upon one another to complete startup initialization, the MFD is not reliant upon the AIS500 for GPS data, and the AIS500 is not dependent upon an external SeaTalk / NMEA 0183 GPS data source for its operation.

Are you reporting that the MFD is not completing initialization such that the Limitations of Use dialog is displayed or are you reporting that the MFD is not receiving a GPS position FIX.
10-02-19, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-19 03:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The MFD initializes, the Limitation of Use is displayed, as always, and I continue to the chart page which loads up no problem. The AIS is off and GPS is no signal. BTW always on start up and never goes offline once underway but, does occasionally flicker on and off while warming up in the slip.
Does the AIS have its own GPS or is it using the Seatalk/GPS antenna data feed?
10-02-19, 03:59 PM
zed1776,

Q1. The MFD initializes, the Limitation of Use is displayed, as always, and I continue to the chart page which loads up no problem. The AIS is off and GPS is no signal.
A1. As indicated within my initial response, Class B AIS transceivers such as the AIS500 are not typically configured to supply GPS data to systems. The MFD should have been interfaced to an external GPS sensor (ex. Raystar 125, Raystar 130, etc.) which in turn would have supplied the system with GPS data. It typically takes the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor less than three minutes to acquire a GPS position FIX after being powered ON. Should the system have been interfaced to a Raystar 125 GPS Sensor and should the GPS be slow to acquire or loose its GPS position FIX, then Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to proceed.

Q2. Does the AIS have its own GPS or is it using the Seatalk/GPS antenna data feed?
A2. As indicated within my initial response, the AIS500 is not dependent upon an external SeaTalk / NMEA 0183 GPS data source for its operation. Like all Class B AIS transceivers, the AIS500 features an internal GPS receiver which is reliant upon a passive GPS antenna to collect and deliver GPS signal to the AIS500. This GPS antenna is connected to the AIS500's GPS antenna socket.