Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Continuing problems with Axiom Fuel Manager
10-11-19, 12:21 PM
RE: [CA11] Continuing problems with Axiom Fuel Manager
Perhaps another clue. I tried it again this morning (have to wait for a new day so that the day resets). On powering up the Axiom and immediately going to the fuel/trip manager, it showed 517 gallons used for the day (same figure as for season), even though the engine had not yet been switched on. Waiting for about two minutes, this reset itself to zero as I watched. I then switched on the key, waited, no change. Then started the engine, no change. It did not add the 517 gallons to the trip or month - in other words, worked correctly. Powering the Axiom down and back up again, the day said 0 gallons, so it requires a fresh day rollover to see the error.

I've not paid attention in the past to the delay between turning on the Axiom and powering up the engine. A theory might be that it takes awhile for the Axiom to receive and internalize the date from the external GPS source, in the mean time is confused about day and season, and if it begins receiving engine data in that interval does the wrong thing. This might also explain why it appears erratic - would depend on how quickly I start the engine.

Tomorrow I will try powering up the Axiom, see if it says 517 gallons for the day, and immediately start the engine before that has corrected itself. Another thing I may try is to disable the external GPS source and select the internal Axiom source, to see if that makes any difference - the Axiom may know what to expect from its internal GPS.

I will note that well prior to the fuel correcting itself (before the Axiom was even switched on), the Vesper GPS had a good position, time, and date as reported on the i70s (NMEA 2K) and ICOM radio (NMEA 0183).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Continuing problems with Axiom Fuel Manager - jfitch - 10-11-19 12:21 PM