Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Network Feature Request NMEA
10-24-18, 12:22 AM (This post was last modified: 10-24-18 08:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Network Feature Request NMEA
I have 2 x Axiom 12 displays. The Fuel monitoring is currently limited by default to instances 0 1 2 3 4 of PGN Type Fuel. It would be nice to be able to pick what Fluid levels are displayed where. By Maybe scanning the PGN for Fluids and Assigning them names and map them to corresponding field within the AXIOM.

My ETEC out board for some reason has Fuel instances as 4 and 5 tank 1 and 2. The Axioms at this stage cannot assign these two instances to tanks 1 and 2. I was also contemplating adding water tank senders black water sender as well. Would be good to be able to Scan for these and associate to appropriate fields with out having to specifically, Program each one in a specific way.

The Network page on the axioms would be a good place to do this. Where we can select which transducer to use for reporting main depth, or select which GPS we want to use for redundancy ETC.

Regards
Finatic
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-18, 01:42 AM (This post was last modified: 10-24-18 08:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] Network Feature Request NMEA
Hello Finatic,

Engines don't transmit tank information - an engine would have no way to know the tank level, that needs to come from an external tank level sensor. Engines transmit fuel flow rate (litres/hour) in NMEA2000 PGN 127489, Engine Parameters Dynamic. The NMEA2000 specification for PGN 127489 says that:
Quote:0 = Single Engine or Dual Engine Port
1 = Dual Engine StarBoard
(for Multiple Engines, Instances will start from Bow, Port (0) to Stern, Starboard (n) )
n = Instance n, where n < 253

The specification for instancing of tanks (PGN 127505 Fluid Level) is more relaxed, at least in the version of the NMEA2000 spec. that I have, but it is still customary to start from zero and count up from there. That is what our software expects: if arbitrary instance numbers are used, it becomes much harder to say which is port and which starboard.

We do get requests occasionally to do arbitrary mapping/reassignment of instance numbers to tank 'names' (port, starboard etc.), but we have not yet chosen to implement this partly because any NMEA2000 transmitting device should come with a tool or method to configure those sorts of installation-level fields, and partly because of the high burden of technical support that's likely to result from the sort of random button-pushing that causes tech support calls on other matters every day.

These instances should be set to 0 and 1 through the sensor manufacturer's setup tool.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
10-24-18, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-18 04:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Tom,
Sorry I wasn't specific enough,
The ICON Guage from my ETEC300G2 Installation, Converts the Analogue resistive sender from my 2 x tanks to a Calibrated PNG 127505 Type Fuel Instance 4 and 5. I have been told these instances are hard wired and cannot be changed. YEs against what the standard says, or at least what the amendment form the NMEA 2000 State. Says instances must be able to be changed. I assume that would mean that Different instances should also be able to be read just as flexible.
I do concur that this could cause issues with button pushers. However my Two Certified 2000 Devices wont talk because of the limitations each manufacturer have put on their products as at this point in time. I cant get My 30K Outboard and rigging NEMA 2000 certified setup to communicate fuel levels to my 30K Raymarine NEMA certified 2000 Setup. The NMEA 2000 Standard is supposed to ensure compliant devices communicate correctly. I can Only ask that as the Raymarine side appears to me configurable and could relook at adding in this feature. Otherwise i am at a loss for how to complete my system and have it working as it should. As it stand and with the hardware i have i will not get fuel levels on my raymarine Axioms
10-24-18, 08:57 PM
Yes, I understand now, and can see why you're frustrated. The NMEA2000 specification has a number of ambiguities and although there's no way for the normal user to know this, certification is probably better regarded as a guarantee of interoperability (can exist in the same network without causing problems with each other) than data-compatibility. I think it would be good to give your feedback to the NMEA organisation on this.

I will log a feature request for wider Instance support and configurability, though I have to say that I don't expect to any changes in the near future.

In the meantime it's possible that there's a workaround - I'll look into this and come back to you.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
10-25-18, 10:20 PM
Hi,

Good news: there is indeed a way for our MFDs to display engine or tank level data from other instance numbers.

I've documented the problem and a brief intro to the solution (using a PC software tool to create a custom engine data page that can be imported into the MFD) at:

http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=6833
http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=6834

I will produce some more detailed instructions over time, but in the meantime I thought I should let you know that this will allow you to display from Instances 4 and 5 and call them Port and Starboard. I have tested and confirmed this works.

I have also logged the feature request for configurable instance setup in future MFD software.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.

10-26-18, 03:27 PM
(10-25-18 10:20 PM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Hi,

Good news: there is indeed a way for our MFDs to display engine or tank level data from other instance numbers.

I've documented the problem and a brief intro to the solution (using a PC software tool to create a custom engine data page that can be imported into the MFD) at:

http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=6833
http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=6834

I will produce some more detailed instructions over time, but in the meantime I thought I should let you know that this will allow you to display from Instances 4 and 5 and call them Port and Starboard. I have tested and confirmed this works.

I have also logged the feature request for configurable instance setup in future MFD software.

Regards,
Tom

You are an absolute legend Tom...where do i send the beers.
I have downloaded all the softwares.. Looks like a fun learning curve.
Struggling to find this .EBP file. I did find one with the example program from the Empirebus site, however that.EBP file look specific to that example. Do I need a more generic .EBP file? I ll be sure to update you with my progress.
Thanks again
10-28-18, 11:53 PM
No need for beers, but the thought's appreciated!

I wasn't able to upload the .EBP file under that name because the forum doesn't currently allow that file extension. I'll send it to you by email instead.

Thanks,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.

10-29-18, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-18 08:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I would appreciate the file as well. Thx!

Jim
10-29-18, 05:04 PM
We've changed the forum config to allow that file type, so here it is.

Tom

Attached File(s)
.ebp  201810-Standalone_blank_config.ebp (Size: 109.11 KB / Downloads: 294)

Raymarine since 1999.