Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malfunctioning autopilot
02-22-16, 10:43 AM
Malfunctioning autopilot
We have a Raymarine SmartPilot, purchased new in 2006, hooked to an ST7001 controller. It now goes nuts more and more frequently, steering off to either port or starboard while maintaining the same heading number when the ST7001 is set on auto. When I go to standby to be able to steer, the numbers clock around to match the circling heading of the little boat on the chart plotter. When I'm on standby the numbers and little boat spin around, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, sometimes clockwise, sometimes counterclockwise.. Sometimes it settles back down to be useable again. All metal and magnetic materials are clear of the fluxgate compass.

Is the fluxgate compass bad? What do I buy as a replacement?

I'd like to check the connections of those tiny wires that go into the course computer, but can't figure out how those little "T" things work and don't want to unconnect something. How does one fasten and unfasten the compass wires to the brain box thing that says "SmartPilot."

Ideas?

Thanks, jeff janacek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-16, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-16 10:11 AM by Steve - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Malfunctioning autopilot
I have enclosed the test for the fluxgate compass, this will determine if the issue is with the compass or the course computer. What is the model number of the course computer? What type of drive are you using?

Compass Test:
Multi-meter should be set to:
(a) Resistance scale
(b) 200 ohm scale
The following procedure should then be followed:
1. Disconnect the transducer from the system.
2. Connect one multi-meter lead to the red wire and the other lead to the green wire and a reading as indicated in the test data table should be present.
3. Follow the above procedure for all the color combinations indicated in the test data table.
4. If all readings match those indicated assume the compass transducer is functioning correctly.

Compass Test Data:

Red to Green - 4 ohms
Red to Yellow - 4 ohms
Green to Yellow - 8 ohms
Screen to Blue - 8 ohms
All other combinations - OPEN
You are looking for a short or open. A +or - 2 Ohm reading is allowed.
If this check indicates a fault with the compass then you will be best served by replacing the compass. If no problem is indicated then you should send the compass and the course computer to a repair facility for evaluation.
02-26-16, 07:35 AM
(02-22-16 04:56 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  I have enclosed the test for the fluxgate compass, this will determine if the issue is with the compass or the course computer. What is the model number of the course computer? What type of drive are you using?

Compass Test:
(a) Resistance scale
(b) 200 ohm scale
2. Connect one multi-meter lead to the red wire and the other lead to the green wire and a reading as indicated in the test data table should be present.
3. Follow the above procedure for all the color combinations indicated in the test data table.
4. If all readings match those indicated assume the compass transducer is functioning correctly.

Compass Test Data:

Red to Green - 4 ohms
Red to Yellow - 4 ohms
Green to Yellow - 8 ohms
Screen to Blue - 8 ohms
If this check indicates a fault with the compass then you will be best served by replacing the compass. If no problem is indicated then you should send the compass and the course computer to a repair facility for evaluation.
02-26-16, 07:42 AM
(02-22-16 04:56 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  I have enclosed the test for the fluxgate compass, this will determine if the issue is with the compass or the course computer. What is the model number of the course computer? What type of drive are you using?

Compass Test:
(a) Resistance scale
(b) 200 ohm scale

Compass Test Data:

Red to Green - 4 ohms
Red to Yellow - 4 ohms
Green to Yellow - 8 ohms
Screen to Blue - 8 ohms

Reply:

I believe I have a S1 Smartpilot, an E15020 course computer, E12154 Autopilot Controller and compass M81105. It's about the size color and shape of a stack of two hockey pucks with a square base.

Do I disconnect those fluxgate wires by pulling out those tiny plastic "t's" that connect those five tiny wires?

Which compasses will work for me?

I'm in the Bahamas, far from help. The best I could do is to have a compass brought over to me if this is the problem.
02-26-16, 09:15 AM
The fluxgate compass that works with the S1 Smartpilot, is part number M81190.
To remove the wires from the S1 course computer, you will be pushing in on the T's at the top of the terminal strip. The T is designed to accept a jewel flat screw driver head, push in to release.
02-26-16, 02:33 PM
[quote='Steve - Raymarine - Moderator' pid='368' dateline='1456496144']
The fluxgate compass that works with the S1 Smartpilot, is part number M81190.
To remove the wires from the S1 course computer, you will be pushing in on the T's at the top of the terminal strip. The T is designed to accept a jewel flat screw driver head, push in to release.

I push in the little plastic thingies and nothing happened. I tried to make them go in in the sections just to the right of the compass where there are no wires, and nothing happened. Maybe pry up or down? It does seem to fit the screwdriver. It doesn't go in any farther. I'm afraid to get these wires out and not be able to get them back in again. This doesn't seem like a very good system
And I'm in the Bahamas, no one to get help from that speaks Raymarine.
02-27-16, 09:48 AM
These can be a bit tricky. Make sure there is no debris in the [censored] before you attempt to push wire in. Then, push pretty firmly straight back (quite a ways back) on the white latch with a (small) flat-blade screwdriver. The lever opens up for the wire. Make sure you twist them tight! They will slide in!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user