Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New equipment and integration of existing
08-08-16, 01:08 PM
RE: New equipment and integration of existing
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Lazybones,

Q1. We prefer a large screen. Is the functionality and performance of the e165 (15”) the same as the new eS series (12”)? Is there a larger eS series MFD coming soon? What would you recommend?
Q1. At this time, the largest eS-Series MFD offered by Raymarine is 12" as you have indicated. As Raymarine policy prohibits its employees from discussing its plans for future products, the e165 MFD will have to be considered. From the standpoint of software related features, the e-Series MFDs are identical to the eS-Series MFDs. The eS-Series MFDs simply represent the latest hardware evolution of the e/E-Series MFD product line. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2. Can we interface and use any or all of the existing ST 50 Transducers for wind, speed, depth? Perhaps using one of your bridge products?
A2. While ST50+ instrument data may be bridged to SeaTalkng (via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter) for use by the e165 MFD, such data bridging is not supported for ST50 instruments. hile ST50+ instrument data may be bridged to SeaTalkng (via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter) for use by the e165 MFD, such data bridging is not supported for ST50 instruments. It is conceivable that by converting the data to NMEA 0183 (v2.1 assumed ... earlier versions not supported), the NMEA 0183 output may be of the bridging device may be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 input port to supply the MFD with wind, depth, speed, and temperature data.

Analog instrument transducers cannot be directly interfaced to an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD. Such transducers may be interfaced to i40, i50, i60 instruments or to an iTC-5 Analog Instrument Transducer Convert w/i70 Multifunction Instrument Display which in turn may be interfaced to an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD. While the depth, speed, temperature instrument transducers used with the ST50 instruments may be used with the i40, i50, and iTC-5 products, wind transducers designed for use with ST50/ST50+ Wind Instruments may not be used with i60 Wind Instruments or iTC-5.

Q3. Can we interface and use any or all of the existing ST 50 displays (we have 6)? Using Seatalk to SeatalkNG converters.
A3. See the response to Q1, as it appears that you may have a path to bridge data via NMEA 0183

Q4. Can we interface and use the existing SG3 Smartpilot? Using Seatalk to SeatalkNG converter?
A4. Autopilots are not designed be full SeaTalk to NMEA 0183 data bridging devices as are MFDs and purposely designed data bridges (ex. E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module.

Q5. Can we interface and use the existing Autohelm 100/300 autopilot? Using Seatalk to SeatalkNG converter?
A5. While it may be possible to interface a Type 100/300 autopilot course computer to an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD via NMEA 0183 communications protocol, doing so via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is not supported.

Q6. We are looking for the best accuracy for depth as we are often in very shallow water or entering reefs. Which sonar would you recommend?
A6. Typically, depth instruments rather than fishfinders are recommended for such purposes. Raymarine instruments and fishfinding products are not designed to support sounding forward of the vessel ... they are designed to sound under (via instrument or fishfinder sounders) and to the sides (via CP200 ... not for sailing vessels) of the vessel.

Q7. Can we use our existing GPS data to feed the network or the MFD?
A7. Should the GPS sensors support NMEA 0183 v2.1 or higher and be switched such that only one is supplying the system with GPS data at any time, then they may be used with the new system. If seeking to put GPS data on the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone, then an Actisense NGW-1-STng would typically be recommended. The Actisense NGW-1-STng data bridge may be combined with an Actisense NDC-4 to bridge 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 data from multiple devices to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q8. Can we use our existing AIS data from either the Transponder or the AIS Matrix radio to feed the network or the MFD? Using Actisense?
A8. Either one of these AIS receiving devices may be interfaced to the system. If seeking to put data on the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone, then an Actisense NGW-1-AIS would typically be recommended.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New equipment and integration of existing - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-08-16 01:08 PM