Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Wind transducer cable voltages
03-24-19, 05:15 AM (This post was last modified: 03-25-19 02:33 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Wind transducer cable voltages
I have an essentially Raymarine system for a small 30ft race yacht 2011 vintage. It uses STng with an A50 mfd, ST70 and i70 displays, with ST 70 autopilot controller. I have added a tacktick nmea via SeaTalk STng converter. All been ok for a yr or so. I noticed problems with incorrect awa on one tack. Wind speed seemed ok. So tried to recalibrate. The system got stuck continually during the turn at 18%. I have the checked the wind transducer to wind pod. Firstly the continuity test from mast junction box to pod all ok. The voltages at the pod are red-shield 7.21 steady. Green shield 4.21 varying with wind blue shield 1.21 varying. Light breeze 12kts. Does this indicate a problem with cable or transducer. What do you suggest? Regards jaa. Western Australia
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-19, 08:53 PM
RE: [TG11] Wind transducer cable voltages
Hello Jaa,

What's the range that the blue and green signals are varying through? These two together are the wind angle signal (a sine-cosine pair) and we'd expect them to sweep smoothly and evenly through the range of approx. 2 - 6V throughout a 360deg change in wind-angle (circle of the boat.) I would guess that you won't see that, that one or both of them will be essentially static through at least part of the turn. This indicates a problem between there and the masthead, perhaps some moisture having crept past and insufficiently-compressed O-ring where the masthead sensor is mounted to the base, and into the masthead connector.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply